What went wrong? When we arrived the heating was off and the house stank of damp. The cleaners had just arrived and said they were "professionals" and would therefore finish the entire 3 bed detached cottage "in less than an hour"! This was correct, only it looked the same as when we arrived because they did very little cleaning in that hour. They did not even vacuum at all, probably because the vacuum was filthy and needed emptying - there was still the same dog hair everywhere so we cleaned up ourselves.
Yes, we complained but Sykes and the owners were not interested and we have not received any compensation.
The place was filthy, we removed bead bugs and piles of dead flies from all windowsills and evicted a cockroach from the kitchen. We hoovered the ceilings to remove lots of spiders of all shapes and sizes.
The beds and bedding were damp and smelly, bedroom 3 was always cold with wet walls, the one and only bathroom was black with mould, damp and full of huge spiders.
We saw no PAC test certificates, no fire safety certificates, no public liability insurance certificated. Above the law, Sykes and owners???
The appliances are old and dirty, the dishwasher smelly. All the plug holes were blocked with gunk and hair.
The hot water was scalding with no means of regulating the temperature, dangerous for children. The aged oil fired central heating boiler made a racket all night, but it did not smell so bad with the heating on. At lease it was on when required.
Not a good experience, would not return.